- Discuss the role of place in Hand Me Down My Walking Cane.
- How does the multiple point of view influence the telling of the story?
- Explore the role of myth and magic in the novel.
- How do the interpersonal conflicts relate to the overarching conflict of the Relocation?
- In what ways does the novel illuminate the period of the 1930s?
- Do you see any correspondence between the Great Depression and today’s Great Recession?
- Compare and contrast the role of government in the 1930s and the 21st century.
Carla Hagen is available to meet with book groups. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org